Monday 17 June 2013

Madam Kwan's Nasi Lemak Vivo City

I heard the raving abt this famous Madam Kwan's nasi lemak restaurant that would be open at Vivo City since a few months ago. Well, it's open now so I'm gonna rant abt it! Please see the picture on the dishes ordered.


I ordered this dish called Nasi Bojari (top image) stated on the menu as (add nice descriptive words here) beef rendang, asam prawns and fried chicken with (I think is briyani) rice. I had thought that the rendang and prawns would be a bit more generous but they looked more like some paste you use to season the chicken instead. There were two small prawns in the "asam prawns". Sibei stingy you would think at $18.90?? 

The second pic shows the famous nasi lemak ($13.90). I think you might be as surprised as we are that the image is "nasi lemak". We thought that was the nasi bojari too. We even clarified with the waiter... Nasi lemak with curry chicken? Strange. Maybe it's atypical of Singapore style nasi lemak and it's Malaysian style? Oh by the way Madam Kwan's is a famous restaurant fr our neighboring KL. 

We also ordered one of SG's fav style veg - balachan kang kong ($10.90), third image. And to save money, we ordered 2 ice water ($1 each. Yes they charge for water)

Verdict: Overrated and badly over-priced. Both me and le bf feels the same loh! I will give it at most 4 out of 10 based on Meowie's own system of grading that focused on yumminess, price, and outlook of food and restaurant (Ya la, presentation affects our taste buds you know? If the food is cheap then I would give a big discount to the outlook segment.) The food tastes average. Not particularly delicious. The waiter said the famous nasi lemak's selling point is in fact the curry sauce that they usually charge for, but provides for free if the order is for nasi lemak. I think the curry is not bad. But really, the dish doesn't really fit the name of nasi lemak to me. And the price tag is pretty steep for 2 pieces of chicken, half a hard boiled egg and some seasoned veg. The nasi bojari taste average too. In fact I think the lemak is comparatively better. The balachan kang kong is nothing to rave abt. Adds: We were not offered any nasi lemak chili on the side. I think they might charge too. Haha!

Total bill of the 3 dishes and 2 ice water? $53.80!!!! Please! If you have money to blow, go for something better at Vivo itself. Abundant options there. Otherwise I think Food Republic food court serves better food at a fraction of the price. And,  to add a little more damage - the restaurant was extremely noisy (weekday evening) and dimly-lit. I say if you desire strongly to try it, please go ahead. Maybe we have different taste buds. But don't say I didn't warn you on the price you shall pay (literally). Maybe the one at KL is indeed marvelous. I dunno. I will tell you if I visit the restaurant when I go KL. 

Meowie's standard snapshot with le food

After a devastating dinner. I went for a dessert to uplift my spirit. I wanna rave abt this dessert I had at the dessert store on the second floor (above the more famous "Honeymoon" desserts on the 1st floor). It's the first time I try the desserts at this place and I apologise that I forgot to even take down the name. The direction is simply one floor above the 满记. I had durian shave ice. It's freaking awesome la. I recommend it to all durian lovers like me. It comes with durian ice, a scoop of durian puree, ice jelly and sago. $6.90. Verdict: 9/10. I discounted 1 pt simply because I'm cynical. It's hard to score full pts with Meowie lah. See photo on the dessert. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment