Thursday 29 August 2013

Food review! ~ Sumiya Japanese Charcoal Grill @ Orchard Central

Okay, before my part 2 on Phuket I thought maybe I will squeeze in this Japanese Grill review. Kekeke. Yep, another food review - Fat die me... 

Some of my colleagues decided to have dinner together. One of the rare occasions. One suggested a Japanese Yakitori concept restaurant at Orchard Central. Frankly, I think I didn't give enough foodie credits to Orchard Central! Maybe I will spend more effort to explore the restaurants there. 

Anyway, the place is called Sumiya. It's located on the top floor (roof level) of Orchard Central. Ye, my colleague managed to find this place through random googling on a totally different topic. Anyway, the place spots a sweet city view. Something like this:

*My apology for a shaky shot but you got the idea. It was going to rain and it was turning dark outside hence the overcast.

Okay now abt the food. I say the concept is pretty fresh to me. You have a whole menu of items with minimal selection of mains. I guess the focus is on bites that would go well with Sake or something. Here's a look of the roll-out style menu. A whole scroll of items mainly in text that make it hard to decide what to eat. Lol.


We decided to stick with trying out the Yakitori. Basically there is a wide selection of meat you can choose, coupled with the type of seasoning - salt, teriyaki sauce or miso flavour. Each stick is roughly $4-5. Here are our selection of beef, pork belly , salmon, asparagus & bacon and truffle oil fries:

 
I ordered the teriyaki salmon and salted beef. I think the beef is good while the salmon was so so. The fries was great although the serving pretty small at $6. We only managed a few fries each among the 4 of us. Haha.

Next we ordered a "main" each except the restaurant only offers light version of the full dish. So imagine a smaller size ramen, udon, etc. Here are our ramen, cold udon, curry rice and garlic fried rice, all at $7 each.


My order of ramen was great. It was small, but the two big slices of cha shu was just nice. $7 is quite cheap too.

The restaurant setting is not bad. Simple but nice:

My total damage for a stick of salmon and beef each, a mini ramen, a 1/4 serving of truffles fries and a refillable hot ocha works out to $22.40 including service charge and tax. Given the ambience, taste of food, services and price, I will give a rating of 8/10. The price is alright, the food is not bad (except the salmon) the ambience is nice and the restaurant service was great. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment