Wednesday 19 June 2013

Laurent's Cafe & Chocolate Bar

My dear friend brought me to Robertson Quay for dinner today. The Shabu Shabu dinner was great. Shall blog about it in another entry. Just wanna do a quick entry on the dessert we had at this chocolate speciality cafe called Laurent's Cafe & Chocolate Bar which was near our dinner place.

The haze was crazy so we seat indoor. It's not the first time my friend had dessert here. And so she knows it's good. This is how the interior looks like. 
 

It's a pretty but small cafe. As you see there is a small glass counter displaying their pretty cakes. Sorry I didn't snap a pic as I was busy catching up with my friend. At the far corner of the pic you can see a section of the cafe converted into mini shop selling chocolates they made. Didn't check out the price. Will do the next time. 

And here's our dessert: After 8 soufflé ($14). Please note it takes 30 mins for them to bake it. ( I think we received it within 15 mins, but I wasn't timing.) It's damn pretty lah! And it's my first time eating this kinda dessert. The plastic tube u see on the soufflé is a tube of mint syrup you squeeze into the soufflé based on how minty you want it to be. We squeezed the whole thing in. Next, we are supposed to dig a hole in the middle of the soufflé to pour in the mini jar of choc you see in the pic. I noticed the souffle already contained some choc when we dig in. We didn't pour in all the extra choc in one go in case it's too sweet. The soufflé has a texture of.... soft steamed egg white. The crust on top is a teeny bit crunchy (think it's sugar). Maybe I'm suaku, but I find this thing really unique. Extra point for the uniqueness! You can tell it takes some skill to make this. My dear friend said she will try to google the recipe. Lol. I hope she succeed in her attempt to make this! I will rate this 7.5/10. Why? I took off some points as I think it's a bit too sweet for me and it's not cheap. Thank god we are sharing the dessert. If I'm having the whole thing I will die from sugar high. But those with a sweet tooth would probably rate it higher. But overall I think it's worth it to try, especially for sharing between girls or a couple. It's a pretty cool new tasting experience for me. The thing kinda melt in your mouth.


Next I also ordered their signature hot chocolate - Classic Caraibe ($9). It's kinda weird for me to order a hot chocolate as I'm such a coffee addict! But I was thinking - hey I'm in a chocolatier! Results? - Regret for me. But maybe it is totally no fault of the cafe again, as I'm not an avid choc fan to begin in. Once again I find it much too sweet for me. It's sweeter than the soufflé. It basically tasted like those high class milk choc melted over fire into liquid form. Very dense and extra sinful. You can see a layer of hardened choc forming if you leave the cup untouched for a few mins. I don't recall my last hot chocolate drink being so dense. I had expected it to be more fluid. Anyway, to side track, my fren actually said it tasted bitter ( I dunno who's taste bud is damaged between the two of us although we both find the earlier dinner yummilicious). Anyway, I was glad I have her to help me finish it. It also comes with a cube of atas chocolate on the side. I let my friend have it hence no comment on that. My verdict on the drink: 6/10. I say try their desserts instead! 


No comments:

Post a Comment