Sunday 21 July 2013

REVIEW: The Addams Family musical in Singapore, Resorts World Sentosa!

I'm not usually overly excited about concerts and performance but when I learned that there's an Addams Family musical in town, I was quite eager to watch it. Strange? I'm not sure if the younger generation even heard of The Addams Family! 

I remember I used to watch the tv series after school. I can't even remember whether it was primary school or just nursery! But I recalled it was in black and white. Even though when I was a kid I don't really understand the english conversations being played (and the dark humour), I clearly recall that all the characters were wacky as hell. Yeah, I grew up with Addams Family, Sesame Streets, Beetle Juice, Pink Panther and..... Stephen Chow? That explains my weird sense of humour! 

So, I managed to get le bf to watch the musical with me at RWS. It was great! I give it 10/10. Maybe because I was totally biased since I grew up with those characters at the back of my head and I do miss them very much! How I wish I could rewatch the tv series now I have full comprehension of English! The musical was wacky. It's about the dark family's daughter "Wednesday" falling in love with a normal boy and having a meet the parents session to announce their intended marriage. I guess it's hard to explain the wackiness if you have never watched the tv series and understood the characters. Here's a summary.

Gomez Addams - the father. An extremely rich and eccentric man of supposedly Spanish (or sometimes Italian) descendance, with a long crazy  family history. A man who loves fencing and is hopelessly in love with his wife, the only woman ever attempted to poison him. He has supposedly inherited a lot of money and has a great interest in collecting morbid antique torture devices.

Morticia Addams - the mother. The fairest of them all, extremely well endowed and with long flowy dark hair. Gave up her dream to travel the world, visiting the sewers of Paris and all, to marry Gomez. Demands nothing but full honesty fr her hubby. A perfect mother in the house and perfect wife in the bedroom. A bit vampire-ish.

Pugsley Addams - the younger son. A weird boy with a penchant to blow things up, loves monsters under his bed and loves his sister dearly for all the torturous acts she experiments on him.

Wednesday Addams - the elder daughter , also known as princess of darkness. Loves nothing more than having her brother dead and loves everything grim. Has an interest in rearing giant spiders. Weirdly, the musical is about her falling in love.

Grandma - only known as grandma, both  Gomez and Morticia are unsure who's side she's from. Moved into the family attic one day and had been living there since. Is able to concoct various funny potion that makes em do silly things. 102 years old and very much alive. Known to be able to fly on a broom like a witch.

Uncle Fester - brother of Gomez, although looks nothing alike. Most commonly known as the fat bald guy in a black gown in the series. A very weird likeable character and loves doing weird thing. Supposed to be some kinda mechanical genius. Has some kinda electrical current in him and able to light up light bulb using his mouth. Had fell in love with the moon as he believes distance is the most important ingredient to love.

Lurch - the family servant. Behaved and looked a little like Frankenstein. Devoted to the family in every aspect.

Some other less well known characters:

Thing - a severed hand. Believed to be Gomez childhood friend. Often seen around the house. Able to teleport from one box to another.

Cousin Itt - a giant mop like hairy character with no facial feature sometimes seen to visit the family. It is unsure if anything is beneath the hair and it talks in a super high pitch that's not audible to common beings except the Addams.

Pets - Spiders, bats, piranha, alligators, lion (cat) and man eating plant.

It is not exactly known if the family is human. All of them exhibits inhuman characters of some sort. And they live in a supposedly haunted mansion. 


I strongly encourage all to watch the musical for amusement at Resorts World Sentosa. The experience was exhilarating!! ;-D

Here's a quick pricing reference. You can book through sistic at http://www.sistic.com.sg 

 *Check online for possible discounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment